Re: Data toggles not reset on "set configuration" for ports handled by "xhci_hcd" driver

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 06:34:55PM +0200, Martin Thierer wrote:
> I read the usb 2.0 specs and generally came to the same conclusion,
> except I wasn't 100% sure because 9.1.1.5 talks about "configuring" in
> the context of bringing a device into the "configured" state, which
> one could argue isn't really the case if a "set configuration" message
> is sent to a device that is already configured with the exact same
> configuration.

Nonsense.  The text explicitly says "configuration involves correctly
processing a SetConfiguration() request with a non-zero configuration
value."  There's no requirement about what state the device was in
previously.

> > Together these should explain the correct behavior.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're implying here. That the kernel's
> behaviour is correct or not?

That the EHCI behavior is correct and the xHCI behavior is wrong.

>  (You're explicitly citing the usb *2.0*
> specs, but that should also apply to a usb 2 device plugged into an
> usb 3 port, right?)

Yes; the USB 3 spec says that the behavior of USB-2 devices should be
governed by the USB-2 spec, even when they are plugged into a hub or
controller.

Alan Stern