Re: usb: core: URB completer callback possibly called after usb_kill_anchored_urbs() returns

Hello Alan & all,

Thanks for your response.

The thing is that I'm not alone assuming that it's fine to free resources after usb_kill_anchored_urbs() returns. Most notable is usb-skeleton.c, which does exactly that in skel_disconnect():

    usb_kill_anchored_urbs(&dev->submitted);

    /* decrement our usage count */
    kref_put(&dev->kref, skel_delete);

Needless to say, skel_delete() frees the struct that the URBs' contexts point at.

Keeping track of the number of uncompleted URBs, as you suggested, is indeed a solution. But as it seems that the only problem is the race condition between usb_kill_anchored_urbs() and __usb_hcd_giveback_urb(), I suppose it's enough to ensure that the resources are not freed while __usb_hcd_giveback_urb() is doing its unanchor-before-complete thing.

After taking a second look, I discovered that there's already a function that takes the race condition into consideration: usb_wait_anchor_empty_timeout().

Looking again at commit 6ec4147, which I mentioned before, it turns out that it added a counter to each anchor struct (atomic_t suspend_wakeups). It's incremented in __usb_hcd_giveback_urb() just before unanchoring a URB, and decremented after the completion has been called. This is made with calls to usb_anchor_suspend_wakeups() and usb_anchor_resume_wakeups(), but that's the essence of these calls.

And there's a wait queue in place, which gets a wakeup call by usb_anchor_resume_wakeups(), if the anchor's list is empty and the counter is zero after decrementing it. In the said commit, usb_wait_anchor_empty_timeout() was modified to check the counter as well, so when it returns, the anchor is genuinely idle.

So I would say that the safe way to go is

  usb_kill_anchored_urbs(&ep->anchor);
  if (!usb_wait_anchor_empty_timeout(&ep->anchor, 1000)) {
     /* This is really bad */
  }
  /* Release memory */

And if indeed so, I'm thinking about submitting a patch, which adds a usb_wait_anchor_empty_timeout() at the bottom of usb_kill_anchored_urbs(). So that the function does what people out there think it does.

Have I missed something?

Thanks,
   Eli