Re: gadgetfs isn't sending interrupt messages

>>> I don't see anything in the gadgetfs source code to override bcdDevice.
>>> Are you sure it happens?
> Sorry, I still don't see it.  I'll have to do some testing of my own.
> BTW, which kernel version are you using?  (Sorry if you already
> mentioned it; I don't have the old emails handy at the moment.)

I'm running 2.6.30 right now.  My (rather messy) gadgetfs code is
available from http://www.shikadi.net/files/odin-gadgetfs.tar.bz2 - I
did want to wait until I could post Linux client code as well, but this
code will be enough to illustrate the bcdDevice issue, one way or the other.

If you wish to test further, the closed-source app that talks to the USB
device can be downloaded from the manufacturer:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Components/Utility_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Utility&FileID=77

If you do try this out, once the device has been detected by Windows and
initialised, double-clicking on the Gigabyte app will result in a single
Control message being sent, and the gadgetfs program will attempt to
reply with an interrupt message, which for me at least, won't show up in
any capture logs.

> You're not expressing yourself logically.  Don't use phrases like
> "under Linux", because when you're running Windows as a guest OS it's
> still under Linux.  And don't say "the gadgetfs driver under Win32";
> that makes no sense since gadgetfs is a Linux driver and cannot run
> under Windows.

Sorry, I shouldn't speak in shorthand :-/

> So let's just consider the case where Windows is running as a virtual
> guest.  Do the 0-length interrupt transfers appear in the usbmon log
> when you attach to the real device?

Yes.

> Do they appear when you attach to your gadgetfs driver?

No.

> How do you know it isn't also involved in your virtualization
> environment?  It seems not unlikely that VirtualBox (or whatever system
> you're using) sends the guest's USB I/O to the physical devices via
> libusb.

Hmm, good point.  (Yes I'm using VirtualBox.)

Cheers,
Adam.