Re: possible memleak in devio.c::processcompl

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Oliver Neukum<oliver@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 28. Juni 2009 23:09:28 schrieb Alan Stern:
>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > looking at devio.c::processcompl in connection with a memleak Markus
>> > reported, it seems to me the devio.c::processcompl in the error case
>> > fails to free struct async. This is fatal, as proc_reapurb has already
>> > removed the struct async from the completed list with reap_as.
>> >
>> > Am I imagining this? Shall I submit the obvious fix?
>>
>> You are right.  Fix away!
>
> This is pretty old and fundamental code. How did we overlook this?

there are not so many extensive usbfs users out there.. I got around
the leak when trying to stream 21 mbyte/seconds from a USB 2.0 device.
I left the transfer on over night and in the morning the notebook was
somewhat frozen (I never looked for how long it worked but as I showed
you the slabinfo kmalloc allocation jumps up constantly while
streaming).
The buffer size of 32k was enough for the entire transfer, although I
think virtualized guests might have a problem with such small buffers.
The windows driver allocates around 190k per URB while USBFS won't
accept more than 32k.

thanks for having a closer look at it, as I'm still working on the
userland side :-)
Markus