Re: 2.6.30 and USB auto-suspend

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Samstag, 27. Juni 2009 03:31:51 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > Oliver, maybe you should patch usbhid to make it avoid autosuspending
> > mice while the device file is open.  That should prevent a lot of
> > complaints.  Maybe keyboards too, I don't know -- people don't seem to
> > be having as much trouble with them.
>
> To have that you simply revert to the 2.6.29 version.

People who have just installed 2.6.30 generally don't feel like
reverting to 2.6.29.  :-)

> Under X the device
> file is always open. Possibly 0 should be ignored as a timeout for HID.

People don't always run under X.  But even in VT mode, the device file
is open while gpm runs.

Nevertheless, my point was that such a large percentage of mice do
poorly at remote wakeup, we should avoid autosuspending mice entirely
-- unless remote wakeup doesn't matter, i.e., when the device file is
closed.  That means don't autosuspend regardless of the timeout value.

Also, usbhid can afford to be selective.  Even though mice behave
badly, we can continue to autosuspend other sorts of devices.

Alan Stern