Re: udev-> libusb issue, already posted to libusb group

hi alan,

thx for your reply.

Alan Stern wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Greg KH wrote:

BUS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1808", ATTRS{idProduct}=="5555", NAME="obdii", MODE="0666"

note i removed the SYMLINK bit as that was a shot in the dark on my part thinking well,
maybe if i added the SYMLINK, it would link /dev/obdii to /dev/bus/usb/003/002, but that didnt work.

It sounds like Jack is looking for the proper udev rule to force /dev/bus/usb/003/002 to be created with 0666 permissions. It's not clear whether he wants /dev/obdii to be a separate device node, to be a symlink to the original node, or not to exist at all.

Based on the existing libusb rule in /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules, it looks like this should do the trick:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1808", ATTRS{idProduct}=="5555", MODE="0666"

(all on one line, of course).  And it should be in a file within
/etc/udev/rules.d numbered higher than 50, so that it applies _after_
the default rule.

yes, the poor dufus knows what he wants, just not how to do it.

but i think this chant has great potential.

i wonder, is there a more definitive doc than daniel drake's on this topic?

its wonderful you guys are only an email away, but i'd like to learn the current references and
do my own searching as much as possible. one of my bad habits i need to break is asking
the community before doing my own footwork.

thx a Ton! jackc...

Alan Stern

This email has been ClamScanned !
     www.LinuxLightHouse.com