Re: Switchable devices (storage/serial)

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:34:20AM +0800, Brad Lu wrote:
> I'm also confused on this.
> My company developed some switchable devices (3G modems), and we use
> libusb (user space) to send control command to device. However, users
> need to install switch mode application, when they plug-in this device
> on first time. Huawei devices, they could be identified on storage mode,
> and then sent switch command from kernel. Most users like this kind of
> behavior (automatic switch without installation), and I consider to
> submit this kind of patch, but I don't think this kind behavior should
> be in kernel. Do we have other way to meet this kind of requirement,
> automatic switch without installation?

I have no problem accepting kernel patches to provide a "switch out of
other mode" type functionality, if you never want to see the other mode
(i.e. HID device or usb storage device) on Linux.

So feel free to send patches for this, and we will be glad to review and
most likely accept them.

thanks,

greg k-h