Re: Power control with EHCI hubs

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Mitch Davis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have some USB devices attached to an EHCI chip which get themselves
> wedged sometimes, and we would like to power cycle them using the
> EHCI's ability to control power to the USB device.  Is this possible?

No.

> I found a function in ehci-hcd.c that might do what we want:
>
>   http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.30/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.c#L408
>
> Will that do it?

No.  The EHCI hardware commonly found in personal computers is not
capable of turning off bus power.

>  Who calls that function, and how can I trigger it?

It is called when the driver initializes the EHCI hardware.  You cannot
trigger it.

> I found another message which suggests there's a /sys entry (and
> hence, a userspace way) to do it:
>
>   https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/linux-pm/2005-March/006596.html

That message is over 4 years old!  Naturally it isn't applicable to the
current kernel.

> But I can't find these on my machine.  Any suggestions on how to get them?

The best you can do is plug your device into a hub.  Some hubs are
capable of port power control, others aren't.  Check out this web page:

	http://www.gniibe.org/ac-power-by-usb/ac-power-control.html

Alan Stern