Re: Switchable devices (storage/serial)

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:05:51PM +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 21. Juni 2009 21:43:52 schrieb Josua Dietze:
> > Oliver Neukum schrieb:
> > >
> > > The question is whether this needs to be done in kernel space at all.
> > > We do need this code in kernel space if we want to do reset_resume()
> > > for those devices, but we'd need a lot more infrastructure which we don't
> > > have right now.
> >
> > Now I'm confused: I thought it was agreed to add switching functions
> > to the kernel ...
> >
> > If this is not wanted, why are there such functions for Option,
> > Huawei and Sierra devices?
>
> I don't know. Presumably there was a good reason. Go ahead,
> implementing this is fine to me.

I happen to be a big fan of doing this in userspace.  That said, the
vendors want a good "out of the box" experience, and there is no 'autorun'
in linux to run a switcher program which is on the virtual storage device.

So, I guess there isn't a "good reason", but there is a "reason".  That
said, I expect the vendors who have submitted these patches to actually
maintain them; so far, that's been good.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I say, what are all those naked people doing?
					-- Big client to Stef
User Friendly, 12/14/1997