RE: EHSET USB testing

Hi,

Peter Chen <peter.chen@xxxxxxx> writes:
>> (Pinging Mathias regarding xHCI support of the USB 2.0 test modes)

>> xhci_hcd

>> > Afaik, you can't. No Host computer will act as USB device. You may try
>> > to configure your box as USB device mode, for gadget driver, you could
>> > using legacy g_zero module, or source_sink function using configfs.

>> > Only thing is your box need to be at host mode. For testing USB2 for
>> > xHCI, the mainline code should not support
>> > TEST_SINGLE_STEP_SET_FEATURE at my last access.
>>
>> Today I was able to get access to a PID/VID test fixture that is used in USB 2.0
>> EHSET testing. Some of the major findings include:
>>
>> 1. The only test mode that works properly is
>>    TEST_HS_HOST_PORT_SUSPEND_RESUME. All other probes of the ehset
>> module
>>    fail with errno -32 as shown above. This test mode is likely the only
>>    one to work because it does not set the PORT_FEAT_TEST feature for the
>>    appropriate port, but rather sets and clears the PORT_FEAT_SUSPEND feature.
>>
>> 2. The same issue was observed on not only our custom hardware, but also
>>    a Dell XPS 13 running Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel version 4.15. I've
>>    attached the dmesg logs with xhci_hcd dynamic debug enabled for both
>>    hosts. The logs were captured while testing the TEST_PACKET test
>>    mode, but the logs looked similar for every other rest mode besides
>>    HS_HOST_PORT_SUSPEND_RESUME.
>>

>> Mathias, I would appreciate your feedback on the attached dmesg logs with
>> xhci_hcd dynamic debug enabled. If you have a moment, could you please take a
>> look at the logs and let me know if there are any clues as to why the test mode is
>> not working with xhci_hcd? I've also attached the lsusb output for this particular
>> EHSET test fixture made by Allion.
>>
>> I've been digging into the xHCI specification to see what details it might contain
>> about the USB 2.0 test modes we are trying to use.
>> Section 4.19.6 describes the proper sequence for enabling the USB 2.0 port test
>> modes. This requires setting the appropriate bits in the USB
>> 2.0 PORTPMSC register, which is described in full detail in section 5.4.9.2. It's clear
>> that xHCI should support the EHSET test modes, but we're not able to set the
>> appropriate port features for some reason.
>>
>> My next thought is to double-check the logic of the ehset driver as it relates to
>> xhci_hcd. I would like to make sure that we are enabling the USB 2.0 test modes
>> according to the xHCI spec. I'm concerned that we might be experiencing an error
>> because we aren't setting the test mode acording to section 4.19.6 of the xHCI
>> specification.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for reviewing the logs, Mathias! I appreciate any time and
>> feedback you may be able to provide. Let me know if you have any further
>> questions or need more information from me. I look forward to hearing from you
>> soon!
>>

> You may not enter test mode at all.
>
> Check flow: xhci_hub_control->xhci_enter_test_mode.

The thing is that we need to enable certification test as well,
otherwise we will never have a chance of getting linux products with a
USB-IF logo out of vanilla mainline tree.

Seems to me that the only thing missing is a way to enter a particular
test mode based on VID/PID pair.

All the functionality is already in place, just this little extra hook
is missing.

--
balbi