Re: sb700 southbridge and several USB2 devices => bug?

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 08:30:18PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009, julien de ROSNY wrote:
>
> > When I plug a dvb-t usb stick and a memory usb stick and I copy a
> > large file from the memory stick to the hard drive, the dvb-t
> > reception is bad.
> > The same behaviour occurs when I plug a wifi usb stick and the dvb-t
> > stick.
> >
> > The lsusb command gives :
> >
> > Bus 001 Device 007: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501USB Wireless Adapter
> > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0413:6026 Leadtek Research, Inc. WinFast DTV Dongle (warm state)
> > ings
> >
> > Is it normal that the two isb2 devices shares the same bus?
>
> Yes.
>
> >  Is a bus equivalent to a usb hub.?
>
> No, it's more like a USB host controller.  You can have many hubs all
> on the same bus, if they are attached to the same controller.
>
> >  If yes, the problem looks like a same hub share the two usb2 devices.
> >  So due to the limited bandwidth, dvb-t data are lost during the
> >  coping of the data from the memeory stick.
>
> No.  Realtime devices like your dvb-t stick are guaranteed a certain
> amount of bandwith on the USB bus, and bulk-data devices like your
> memory stick get whatever bandwidth is left over.

However, this particular DVB-T device does not use isochronous
endpoints - it has only bulk endpoints; see the lsusb output from the
first message:

> [...]
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               2.00
>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x0413 Leadtek Research, Inc.
>   idProduct          0x6026 WinFast DTV Dongle (warm state)
>   bcdDevice            0.01
>   iManufacturer           1
>   iProduct                2
>   iSerial                 0
>   bNumConfigurations      1
>   Configuration Descriptor:
>     bLength                 9
>     bDescriptorType         2
>     wTotalLength           46
>     bNumInterfaces          1
>     bConfigurationValue     1
>     iConfiguration          0
>     bmAttributes         0x80
>       (Bus Powered)
>     MaxPower              500mA
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           4
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass      0
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0
>       iInterface              0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x86  EP 6 IN
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
> can't get device qualifier: Operation not permitted
> can't get debug descriptor: Operation not permitted
> cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

This is surely a bad design for a device with realtime data transfer
requirements.  The only workaround currently is to put this device on
a separate USB bus.