Re: sb700 southbridge and several USB2 devices => bug?

On Mon, 18 May 2009, julien de ROSNY wrote:

> When I plug a dvb-t usb stick and a memory usb stick and I copy a large file from the memory stick to the hard drive, the dvb-t reception is bad.
> The same behaviour occurs when I plug a wifi usb stick and the dvb-t stick.
>
> The lsusb command gives :
>
> Bus 001 Device 007: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501USB Wireless Adapter
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0413:6026 Leadtek Research, Inc. WinFast DTV Dongle (warm state)
> ings
>
> Is it normal that the two isb2 devices shares the same bus?

Yes.

>  Is a bus equivalent to a usb hub.?

No, it's more like a USB host controller.  You can have many hubs all
on the same bus, if they are attached to the same controller.

>  If yes, the problem looks like a same hub share the two usb2 devices. So due to the limited bandwidth, dvb-t data are lost during the coping of the data from the memeory stick.

No.  Realtime devices like your dvb-t stick are guaranteed a certain
amount of bandwith on the USB bus, and bulk-data devices like your
memory stick get whatever bandwidth is left over.

> I must say that the dvb-t and memory (or wifi) sticks are plugged on two different usb connectors directly on the motherboard.
> Is there a way to force different bus assignation to a usb device?

Sure.  Plug the device into a different port.  The ports aren't all on
the same bus.

Alan Stern