ISP1760 - problems with high speed devices

I'm using an NXP 1760 device with the latest isp1760-hcd driver on
both a Blackfin BF537 DSP and also a PowerPC 405 (Virtex4).   Both
platforms have some problems with accessing highspeed devices.  The
PowerPC in particular is completely unable to access any highspeed
device, producing error messages as below:

error bit is set in DW3
error bit is set in DW3
error bit is set in DW3
usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -32

Full speed transfers to the same device (forced by putting a full-
speed-only hub in the chain) work 95% reliably.   Occasionally I've
seen hangs during device connect/disconnect.

I've tried a variety of devices; various memory sticks, card readers
and hubs.  All fail with the same errors.

I've tried adjusting the bus timings, giving very relaxed timing
compared to that indicated in the NXP datasheet (eg 64ns write cycle,
rather than 35ns required) -- this helped to make things work much
more reliably on the Blackfin board, but hasn't really helped at all
on the PowerPC board.

I believe the hardware on my Blackfin board, at least, is perfectly
fine, as the old pehcd isp1760 driver worked perfectly fine there.

I'd be tremendously grateful for any suggestions for debugging this
problem, and/or information about the known reliability of high-speed
transfers with the isp1760-hcd driver.

Many thanks,

Ian Jeffray