Re: Debugging bus resets

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Brad Schick wrote:

> On 05/13/2009 07:19 AM, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 May 2009, Brad Schick wrote:
> >

> >> Thanks for the feedback. VMware perhaps should have been an obvious
> >> candidate, but I built the device and it's firmware myself so I was
> >> focusing on where problems usually reside... in my own work.
> >>

> > Pardon me for sounding rude, but in this case that seems ridiculous.
> > The device isn't capable of initiating a port reset; only the host is.
> > So if you're looking for the source of those resets, why concentrate on
> > the device?
> >

> Doesn't seem ridiculous at all. The host can reset a device if it
> detects a problem a transfer (as mentioned in the mass storage case).

Right, which means that you need to determine if the host has detected
a problem.  That is different from detecting a problem on the device
side; you need to find out what the host is doing.

>  It
> would also seem logical that a host controller might do a reset if
> something was wrong electrically.

No, a host controller will not do a reset unless it is told to do so by
the driver.

> And that was the point of my original question... how can I figure out
> what is causing resets. Your replies have been helpful, and yes a bit
> rude sounding. I really appreciate the info, so as requested, I pardon you.

Sorry for sounding rude; with email sometimes things come across in
ways that weren't intended.

Have you been able to reproduce those resets?  Have you tried setting
the usbfs_snoop=y parameter for usbcore?

Alan Stern