Re: Debugging bus resets

On Tue, 12 May 2009, Brad Schick wrote:

> My theory about a good and a bad device was a red-herring. It must have
> been a coincidence, because I now see the problem on both devices. My
> next thought was that this could be related to Vmware running on this
> box (currently the only convenient way to program the devices). Perhaps
> the Vmware daemon is conflicting with the kernel during device enumeration?

That's kind of an important piece of information.  It sounds like
VMware is the user program I was talking about in my earlier email.

VMware doesn't conflict with the kernel during device enumeration.
Rather, the guest operating system does its _own_ enumeration.
Presumably that is the source of the resets you see.

> I shutdown Vmware and the problem has stopped, although restarting
> vmware and running an vm did not cause the resets to return. So I'm not
> totally sure, but it is my prime suspect. I'll keep experimenting.
>
> I also forgot to mention that (as expected) my system log is full of:
>
>     kernel: [71562.713036] usb 1-1.1.2: reset full speed USB device
> using ehci_hcd and address 115
>
> I noticed someone else mentioned resets like this in a thread about mass
> storage a while back, but there was no resolution beyond "the cause is
> unknown".

Taken out of context, this comment is a little misleading.  The cause
of the resets is very well known; they occur because the mass-storage
device stops responding to commands.  What we don't know is why the
device stops responding.

Alan Stern