Re: Debugging bus resets

On 05/12/2009 02:39 PM, Brad Schick wrote:
> Any tips for tracking this down? It looks like the resets always happen
> after set_config or set_interface. Once in a great while, they don't
> happen or happen more or less frequently. Perhaps there is some
> electrical interference, but it seems strange that the resets appear to
> happen at the same spots.

My theory about a good and a bad device was a red-herring. It must have
been a coincidence, because I now see the problem on both devices. My
next thought was that this could be related to Vmware running on this
box (currently the only convenient way to program the devices). Perhaps
the Vmware daemon is conflicting with the kernel during device enumeration?

I shutdown Vmware and the problem has stopped, although restarting
vmware and running an vm did not cause the resets to return. So I'm not
totally sure, but it is my prime suspect. I'll keep experimenting.

I also forgot to mention that (as expected) my system log is full of:

    kernel: [71562.713036] usb 1-1.1.2: reset full speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 115

I noticed someone else mentioned resets like this in a thread about mass
storage a while back, but there was no resolution beyond "the cause is
unknown".

-Brad