dm9601 link loss

Hi, I have a couple of dm9601 usb ethernet adapters and have a problem
that can be reproduced this way:
- Have device up.
- Disconnect ethernet cable from device.
- Try to tx a packet (an arp or ping will do the job).
- Connect cable again.

The result is that the device won't tx anymore and will lose RUNNING
state, until i "ifconfig eth4 down up".

This has been discussed before, but i also made some tests:
- I tried disabling this line "netif_carrier_off(dev->net)" and it
solved the problem, but i think it is not a clean solution.
- Also tried to send 0xFF to "wake up control register" (please see chip
doc). It didn't work or i did it wrong.

The issue is serious and has always been there in this driver.