Re: MUSB interrupt storm on device removal

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:05:40AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019, Bin Liu wrote:

> > > Since it is supposed to be intermittent unlike, for example, -ENOENT or
> > > -EPIPE (the latter which the device driver can recover from if it cares
> > > to implement clearing of halt).
>
> Wait a minute.  Nothing says any of those errors is supposed to be
> intermittent.  As long as an error has a systematic cause (as opposed
> to random noise, for example), it will recur as often as the cause
> does.
>
> At least when -EPROTO errors are caused by device disconnect, we know
> that they will eventually go away when the upstream hub reports the
> port disconnect event.  But until then, an interrupt storm is certainly
> possible.
>
> > Okay, makes sense.

> > > I didn't say it was exactly the same.
> >
> > Yeah, I know. My point was the fix is in the place where re-transmitting
> > happens, but
> >
> > > My point was that unless you fix this at the HCD level, you will need to
> > > add complex recovery handling to every USB driver and completion handler
> > > (~500 of those). But perhaps that is what it needed.
> >
> > okay, it probably make sense to handle the case in HCD because the
> > number of HCD is much less.
>
> One possibility is to giveback URBs with certain errors (such as
> -EPROTO) only at a frame boundary, or at 1-ms intervals.  This feels
> like a very artificial solution, though.

My plan is to add an error counter in musb driver endpoint struct, if
-EPROTO has happened consequentially for a certain times, for example 3,
giveback URBs with -EPIPE instead -EPROTO. This is the simplest solution
I can think of, though I hate expending struct unnecessarily, this is
one of the cases.

> > > I do see now that of all USB drivers we have two drivers that handles
> > > -EPROTO by resubmitting after a delay, while a handful explicitly deals
> > > with -EPROTO by simply stopping to resubmit (some probably bail out on
> > > all errors, but the majority appear to resubmit on -EPROTO).
>
> Any driver which immediately retries an URB after getting -EPROTO or
> -EILSEQ or -ETIME, and has no mechanism for backing off or limiting the
> retries, is buggy.  As far as I can see, that's all there is to it.

Agreed, but given that majority appear to resubmit on -EPROTO as Johan
said, I think better to handle it in HCD.

> > Thanks for the info.
> > I will handle this case in musb driver.
>
> Why doesn't the same problem occur with other types of host controller?

Not sure, I am on musb for most of the times. Maybe other HCD doesn't
giveback URBs with -EPROTO in such error case.

musb controller has a register bit telling the controller has tried the
transaction 3 times but didn't receive any response, then the musb
driver just giveback this URB with -EPROTO.

Regards,
-Bin.