Re: ptp-gadget: now also working with MS Windows hosts

On Monday 04 May 2009, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> David, another question for you: Greg suggested to use the bcdDevice field
> in the device descriptor to specify driver's version. However, in the
> gadgetfs example that I based my code on it is used to specify the
> underlying hardware:
>
> net2280:        0x100
> pxa2xx:         0x101
> goku:           0x104
>
> What do you think, what makes more sense: preserving this or using
> bcdDevice for driver version and appending the hardware string to
> iManufacturer like in-kernel gadget drivers do?

The in-kernel drivers sort of do both ... they default
to a bcdDevice code which exposes the hardware, since
they have no version codes.  And the iManufacturer string,
which is mostly overridable as a module option, defaults
to saying what OS and driver is used.  (Not when it's made
to say "Yoyodyne Propulsion, Inc", of course...)

I figure a "real product" will probably have some kind
of release management that should drive bcdDevice codes,
and the iManufacturer will be a "real vendor" instead
of just a generic "we be Linux" thing.

> I think the latter would  make more sense, agree?

Do what you like.  Having hardware exposed can be
useful when troubleshooting, since the Linux-USB stack
gets used fairly generically.  But if you need a real
version code too, and are prepared to manage it, then
more power to you!

- Dave