Re: Using Beagle12 for debugging high-speed USB device

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Mandeep Sandhu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have to reverse-engineer a commodity USB-to-Ethernet LAN controller in s/w.
> This is a high-speed device.
>
> I'm using the nokia n810 for simulating/debugging on the device side. I have no
> access to the host though! :(

Why not?

> I'm planning to use the Beagle analyser for sniffing the initial
> handshake happening
> between the host and the device (cos thats where it's currently stuck).
>
> Because of budgetary constraints, I'm going for the cheaper USB 12
> (for low / full-speed
> devices). The totalphase site mentions that high-speed devices can
> also be debugged with
> this variant by putting a full-speed hub in-between.
>
> Will there be any issues if I go with this kind of a setup (i.e having
> a full-speed hub in between).

There shouldn't be any significant problem, _provided_ the LAN
converter is able to work correctly at full speed.  Have you tested
this?

> Or should I rather go with the more expensive (3 times more!) USB 480
> which can analyse
> high-speed devices. Though for buying this, I'll have to really
> hard-press my boss for it! :)
>
> Has anyone here worked with the Beagle analyser? Wanted to get some
> feedback on it's use.

I have used the Beagle-12.  It's not difficult to do, although the user
interface is a little awkward.  I heard that Totalphase was planning an
update to their software (it may already have been released) to improve
the interface.

Alan Stern