Sony SixAxis/DS3 support improvement

If this isn't the correct venue for HID-related discussions, my
appologies, I saw recent activity here relating to HID, also saw
relatively recent activity elsewhere showing the HID code was moved
out of the USB sub-tree over the last year, but also yet saw no
seperate mailing list with 'HID' in the name on VGER. So... posting
here.

I've been working with the SixAxis controller recently, and have some
questions before I build up a specific patch to improve support for
the device under Linux.

How much acceptance would a patch that uses a .raw_event hook to
support the accelerometer/gyroscope data without needing a user-space
app to drop back to the HIDRAW interface get?

Would it be less acceptable to convert the accelerometer/gyroscope
data into translation/rotation data that are more easilly used by a
game directly instead of requiring games to specifically support
motion sensor decoding? This would (in theory) lose some precision as
the 10-bit values could likely not be exactly recovered. Code size
would likely grow noticably as well.

Would it be less acceptable to out-right replace the stock Descriptor
the controller returns with one that re-organizes the controls to
align better with other gamepads, since I'd already be re-writing
portions of the raw input reports in the .raw_event hook?

- Wolf with Wings