Re: usbfs, claiming entire usb devices

>> 1) Start qemu:
>> qemu -usbdevice host:auto:3.*
>> qemu places a "grab" for all ports in this bus.
>
> A bus' host controller is a PCI device you can unbind from its driver.
> Nothing but a hotplug event or a module load would reprobe it.
>
> What happens if you unbind a USB device and produce a port
> statuschange on its parent is a good question. Simply try it, you
> can trigger it by hand through sysfs.

The "bus" above was qemu terminology (the syntax for claiming
a host device is either bus.addr or VID:PID) and for that I apologize.
I 'm not really interested in unbinding the HCD.

What I 'm trying to achieve is to be able to assign one or more
(root) hub ports to a guest VM, in a way that this assignment
is persistent across device resets/disconnects/reconnects
until the user issues an explicit "I don't care about this port
anymore" call.

Thanks,
Pantelis