Re: usbfs, claiming entire usb devices

Hi Oliver,

> Usb devices have a real struct device whose children are the interfaces.
> You should be able to unbind usbcore from a device through sysfs.

Yes, but would it be possible to "keep it unbound" for as long as userspace
is holding a specific lock?

Here is one of the things I 'm trying to achieve:

1) Start qemu:
qemu -usbdevice host:auto:3.*
qemu places a "grab" for all ports in this bus.

2) Plug the wintv pvr in a slot corresponding to the above bus
The guest sees the device just plugged in, loads the firmware and asks
the parent hub to reset the device.

The device/port *stays* assigned to qemu, the kernel doesn't touch it
(no Set-Configuration,
probing the interfaces etc).

Qemu sees the new connect event and proceeds to use the device normally.

Is there an existing facility that would allow me to implement the
above use case?

Thanks,
Pantelis

P.s., this was discussed e.g., in
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg06331.html
thread last year. I was wondering if there were any practical results from this
discussion