Re: Apple Display bound to hid-generic driver instead of appledisplay

On 2 Dec 2018, at 12:40, Alexander Theißen wrote:
>>> On 1 Dec 2018, at 13:06, Alexander Theißen wrote:
[...]
>>> How do you use that driver? For me the hid driver always claims the device. I have to manually bind the driver to the display to have it bound to the appledisplay driver. Shouldn't it be rather a hid driver to have the driver bound without userspace intervention?
>
>> This is what used to happen to me until I added my display as an supported device in the appledisplay driver. If you can reply with the results of;
>> * uname -rv
>> * lsusb -d 05ac: -v
>> while the display is connected I can check if your device is missing from the list of supported devices.
>
> I did the same thing. My display was also not listed as a supported device. I added the product ID (0x9226) to appledisplay.c, build the module, copied it over the existing module at /lib/modules and ran depmod. Now the module is loaded by udev but still bound to hid-generic because this module is loaded fist I guess. I did not rebuild the whole kernel. Just replaced the module because currently I am using the ubuntu 18.10 kernel. The driver works fine when I manually unbind the hid driver from the device and reinsert the appledisplay driver.

Aha, okay. The same thing happen to me when I tried to only recompile the appledisplay module, I've been unable to determine exactly what the reason is(anyone?). However hid-generic doesn't interfere with my display now that I run a completely rebuilt kernel.

> uname -rv
> 4.18.0-11-generic #12-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 23 19:22:37 UTC 2018
>
> lsusb -d 05ac:9226 -v
> Bus 001 Device 010: ID 05ac:9226 Apple, Inc. LED Cinema Display
[...]

Thanks, as you said it isn't included in the driver's list of supported devices. My understanding of your mail is that the driver works well with the display so you should send in a patch adding the device.

Thanks,
Mattias