Apple Display bound to hid-generic driver instead of appledisplay

>>  On 1 Dec 2018, at 13:06, Alexander Theißen wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mattias,
>>
>> I am writing you because you edited the drivers/usb/misc/appledisplay.c driver and I am hoping that you are a user of that driver.
>>
>> How do you use that driver? For me the hid driver always claims the device. I have to manually bind the driver to the display to have it bound to the appledisplay driver. Shouldn't it be rather a hid driver to have the driver bound without userspace intervention?

> This is what used to happen to me until I added my display as an supported device in the appledisplay driver. If you can reply with the results of;
> * uname -rv
> * lsusb -d 05ac: -v
> while the display is connected I can check if your device is missing from the list of supported devices.

I did the same thing. My display was also not listed as a supported device. I added the product ID (0x9226) to appledisplay.c, build the module, copied it over the existing module at /lib/modules and ran depmod. Now the module is loaded by udev but still bound to hid-generic because this module is loaded fist I guess. I did not rebuild the whole kernel. Just replaced the module because currently I am using the ubuntu 18.10 kernel. The driver works fine when I manually unbind the hid driver from the device and reinsert the appledisplay driver.

uname -rv
4.18.0-11-generic #12-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 23 19:22:37 UTC 2018

lsusb -d 05ac:9226 -v
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 05ac:9226 Apple, Inc. LED Cinema Display
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x05ac Apple, Inc.
  idProduct          0x9226 LED Cinema Display
  bcdDevice            2.99
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                2mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor: