Re: Audio driver on 2.6.26 over an HUB

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 salvatorelionetti@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Alan, after your instruction i've included 'usbmon' in my kernel.
> Surfing in menuconfig, i've been tempted to include also:
> - Root Hub TT
> - Improved TT scheduling
>
> Situation changed after this recompilation:
> - Error -28 disappear !!!
> - Playback work like previous build,
>   (i've no applied quantitative markers different from my hears)
> - Record go on but sound seems really bad.
>
> Going deeply on such 'badness', i've seen that
> - Right channel is always ok (in quality is similar to playback)
> - Left one has spikes error over samples. In detail:
>  o say 90% of urbs have one single error (one 16 bit sample is wrong)
>  o say 5% of urbs have 2 error
>  o say 5% of urbs have 0 error
>
> Spike error is 10:100 times greater (few time less) so resulting data
> is seriousely damaged. Strangly error follow sign of data.
>
> I attach you requested data.

Does that data represent one single recording?  It looks like it might.

There are gaps in the log -- places where no URB was submitted for
several milliseconds at a time.  For example, look in the region around
timestamp 2636828034.  All three URBs complete and they aren't
resubmitted until about 5 ms later.

Whatever driver you're using, it doesn't have enough URBs in its ring
buffer.  Instead of using 3 URBs it should use more like 20 or 30.
Even better would be to continue using 3 URBs, but make each URB
contain 10 packets of data instead of just one.

> Can you suggest me how to proceed to found the cause of this problem?
> Is possible for example to save binary data about transfer (not only
> arrive time, size, direction), eventually separated from HUB ->
> DRIVER HCD and DRIVER HCD -> MY DRIVER? Have you even heard about
> such 'spike error' behavior?

It is possible to get the binary data, but not with the command-line
version of usbmon.  You have to use the usbmon program; see

	http://people.redhat.com/zaitcev/linux/usbmon-5.4.tar.gz

However until the problem of the gaps is fixed, there's no point
looking at the binary data.

Alan Stern