Re: RFC on OTi-2108 USB Data Link cable driver implementation

On Sat, 21 Jul 2018, Urja Rannikko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This device presents itself as an USB CD Drive, and extends that
> "metaphor" (kinda) to how it transfers data (= ethernet frames in our
> case) between hosts. That is one SCSI vendor command (0xD8) over
> bulk-only mass-storage is used to poll whether data is available and
> another one (0xD9) is used to transfer the data. Yes, this is not good
> but the hardware is what it is.
>
> The question is, if i were to implement a driver for this, which is
> the better option:
> 1) Make a driver that (ab)uses the kernel SCSI and usb mass storage
> drivers to do the transfers.
> or
> 2) Make a driver that contains a minimal set of usb mass storage bulk
> transfer code to do what is needed for this device.

This depends on whether you want to expose the CD interface.  If you
don't care about it, I recommend option 2.  If you do want the CD
interface, I recommend option 1.

> If you answer 1, I'd like to know the appropriate API layer to hook
> into, and how to probe for the device and such...

Write a subdriver for usb-storage.  See the various subdrivers already
in the drivers/usb/storage directory for examples.

Alan Stern