Re: [patch 0/7] Add usb root debugfs directory and move the USB subsystems to use it

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:42:52PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
>
> > Oh BTW, you know what? I think it would be great to add a mode to
> > lsusb to gather /sys values and print a devices file to stdout.
> > It would relive me from the need to bother with debugfs (which we
> > ship, yes, but do not mount by default).
>
> Would it make sense to arrange for debugfs to be mounted automatically
> by the kernel on foo/kernel/debug whenever a sysfs filesystem is
> mounted on foo (provided debugfs is configured, of course)?

That would require some cross-filesystem knowledge of what is going on,
and I really don't want to do that.

Also, some systems (read enterprises), don't want to mount debugfs on
their boxes, as they feel it is information they don't want their users
to see.  But like it available to be mounted if they need it.

Which means it's a user-configurable policy, and we should just let the
user pick what they want to do.

Also, don't get me started on the people who like mounting debugfs at
/debug on their filesystem :)

thanks,

greg k-h