Re: DigitalNow TinyTwin DVB-T tuner (remote control) issues.

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Stuart wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 April 2009 00:23:18 Alan Stern wrote:
> > > So, my next question is if there's any way for me to reverse the firmware
> > > to fix the real problem and if not is there a way to fix the bInterval
> > > value for this device? Possibly something like the various hid drivers
> > > such as hid-lg.c for hid quirks?
> >
> > I don't know anything about the device's firmware; you'll probably have
> > to complain to the manufacturer and ask them to fix it.  Both the 17x
> > behavior and the incorrect bInterval value.
>
> Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well, I was wondering if there is any
> information/are any tutorials on how to work out what the firmware is doing.
> Perhaps disassembling or even decompiling the firmware code. I searched on
> Google but I couldn't find anything useful.

I don't know of any such information or tutorials.  They would have to
be very device-specific in any case, so probaby not of much use to you.

> If this can't be fixed in firmware, I've found there is a quirk in
> include/linux/hid.h defined as HID_QUIRK_FULLSPEED_INTERVAL. In
> drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-quirks.c there is a blacklist which includes the Afatech
> AF9016. Since this is the Afatech AF9015 it would appear that this is the next
> best way to handle the problem (I tested it and it seemed to work here).

Sure, submit a patch with your quirk to the HID maintainer.

> Just in case it becomes useful for future reference, I found this link:

> It describes the USB_ENDPOINT_DESCRIPTOR structure for Windows drivers. It
> defines the polling interval for bInterval values for low, full and high speed
> devices.
>
> In this case, high speed devices for 6 <= bInterval <= 255 have a polling
> interval of 32 uframes or 4ms. With the 17x delay this becomes 68ms which is
> close to the 90ms I was seeing from usb sniffs (as you mentioned, they may not
> be that accurate).

So the Windows EHCI driver has a lower maximum interval than the Linux
driver does.  It does explain your results.

Good luck,

Alan Stern