Re: Pandaboard OMAP4 MUSB short packet hang on UVC gadget

Hi Bin,

On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 18:45:40 EEST Bin Liu wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:58:16PM +0100, Kieran Bingham wrote:
> > Hi Bin, Felipe,
> >
> > We have been trying to get a UVC gadget operational on the Pandaboard ES
> > platform, and we believe we've hit an issue with short packets on the MUSB
> > in DMA mode.
>
> I don't have a Pandaboard. Does it use MUSB internal DMA engine?

It uses the OMAP2+ glue and the Inventra DMA engine, yes.

> > Using the g_webcam module, I can instantiate a UVC video node, and use the
> > uvc-gadget helper application [0] to handle the frame generation.
> >
> > With DMA disabled using CONFIG_MUSB_PIO_ONLY I am able to process frames
> > on the host using yavta [1]
> >
> > However when DMA is enabled, only the first frame is transmitted to the
> > host, and I get an error from the musb_log debug prints which indicate
> > that the MUSB_TXCSR_TXPKTRDY is not cleared following a short packet.
>
> The MUSB_TXCSR_TXPKTRDY bit should be clear by the MUSB controller after
> the TX packet is transmitted, there is no sw involved.

I've just found https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/beagleboard-gsoc/k8Azwfp75CU that seems to be related. We'll try it out. Does the patch
make sense to you ?

> > A capture of the musb_log trace-points [2] shows the following at the end
> > of the log:
> >
> > The 'mode' has been set to '0' instead of '1', buffer length is 902
> > instead of 1024 (expected behaviour for the last packet):
> >   "ep13-Tx pkt_sz 1024, dma_addr 0xadfbbc00 length 902, mode 0"
> >
> > And then there is a fault reported:
> >   "ep13 old packet still ready , txcsr 2003"
>
> I just checked the same testcase on Beaglebone Black which uses CPPI41
> DMA, this bit is cleared after sent the 902-bytes end-of-frame packet.

That would point to an issue with the Inventra DMA engine, which would be
consistent with the above patch.

> > The host (linux, running the uvc driver with extra debug prints) reports:
> >
> > [24517.711147] uvcvideo: decode_data: len: 1022, maxlen 460800
> > [24517.759117] uvcvideo: decode_data: len: 1022, maxlen 459778
> > <snip> ...
> > [24529.375018] uvcvideo: decode_data: len: 1022, maxlen 2944
> > [24529.399073] uvcvideo: decode_data: len: 1022, maxlen 1922
> > [24529.427014] uvcvideo: decode_data: len: 900, maxlen 900
> >
> > And receives no further data following the end of the first frame.
> >

> > Are there any known issues on the musb-gadget with short-packet handling -
> > or any other tests I can perform to check this ?
>
> Nothing that I am aware of.
>
> > Should I be looking to try to get the txstate() call to re-execute after a
> > delay (using musb_queue_resume_work() perhaps?) or does this indicate
> > that the
>
> I am not sure how that will make the controller to clear the TXPKTRDY
> bit.
>
> > hardware has jammed ? Stopping the pipeline (the yavta capture) and
> > restarting,
>
> Likely that is the case.
>
> > will successfully transfer (only) the first frame again.
> >
> > Any other hints and tips appreciated!
>
> Does the usecase ever worked on Pandaboard with older kernels? If so,
> you can try to bisect the commit which causes the regression.

Not that I recall. The use case was initially developed on a Davinci system,
and has been tested on a Beagleboard, but I don't remember having tested it on
OMAP4.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart