Re: DMA alignement in hcds

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:14:14AM +0200, Martin Fuzzey wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:51:41PM +0200, Martin Fuzzey wrote:
> >
> >> Use case is pwc webcam driver which calls usb_control_message() with a
> >> non aligned stack allocated buffer pointer.
> >>

> > That's a bug, it should never do that.  I thought we fixed all of these
> > instances, what kernel version are you using that still does this?
> >

> 2.6.30 rc 1

Ick, please point out the place where this happens, and we will gladly
fix it up, that is a bug in the driver (which will prevent it from
properly working on existing arches today.)

> >> Does this mean the HCD has to handle this? (I ask because a brief look
> >> at the existing HCDs didn't turn up anything similar).
> >>

> > No, it doesn't, we should fix the driver to always submit heap allocated
> > pointers.
> >
> > That should solve your problem, right?
> >

> Yes. I can do the patch if you like - I much prefer that to adding copy
> code to my HCD.

Yes.

> Maybe the core could give a warning message in this case. For a long
> time I thought it was a bug in the isoc handling of my HCD, until I
> found that isoc works with usbtest and got a beagle which showed weird
> control packets.

If you can come up with a check that will work properly for this, please
let us know.  I think we have tried it before, but failed for some
reason.

thanks,

greg k-h