Re: DMA alignement in hcds

Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:51:41PM +0200, Martin Fuzzey wrote:
>
>> Use case is pwc webcam driver which calls usb_control_message() with a
>> non aligned stack allocated buffer pointer.
>>

> That's a bug, it should never do that.  I thought we fixed all of these
> instances, what kernel version are you using that still does this?

2.6.30 rc 1

>> Does this mean the HCD has to handle this? (I ask because a brief look
>> at the existing HCDs didn't turn up anything similar).
>>

> No, it doesn't, we should fix the driver to always submit heap allocated
> pointers.
>
> That should solve your problem, right?

Yes. I can do the patch if you like - I much prefer that to adding copy
code to my HCD.

Maybe the core could give a warning message in this case. For a long
time I thought it was a bug in the isoc handling of my HCD, until I
found that isoc works with usbtest and got a beagle which showed weird
control packets.

Martin