Re: Q: usb_control_msg() parameters

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 8:54 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 01:00:06AM +0200, Ran Shalit wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to understand article on reverse engineering usb driver,
>> published in
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/7353/print (2004)
>
> That article was written a _long_ time ago :(
>
>> I have difficulties understanding the input to the function usb_control_msg()
>> especially the 0x12, 0xc8 numbers.
>> I could not find them in the article, then tried even in the delcom
>> datasheet, but did not find it there too.
>> These numbers refer to __u8 request, __u8 requesttype , value, and
>> index, but I could not understand how they are figured it out in the
>> article.
>>
>>       usb_control_msg(led->udev,
>>                       usb_sndctrlpipe(led->udev, 0),
>>                       0x12,     <<------- ?
>>                       0xc8,      <<------ ?
>>                       (0x02 * 0x100) + 0x0a, <------ ?
>>                       (0x00 * 0x100) + color, <------ ?
>>                       buffer,
>>                       8,
>>                       2 * HZ);
>
> I thought I got them from the data sheet for the device, but that was
> over a decade ago, so I really don't remember, sorry.

My question can be more of a general question.
I am trying to understand how I should set these arguments (in
general) with another device for example.
I did not find any complete example/documentation which gives more
details as to how to set these arguments:

request - USB message request value
requesttype - USB message request type value
value - USB message value
index - USB message index value

Thanks for the comments,
Ran