Re: USB host controller that's not on a bus, how to find connected device?

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 02:28:00PM +0200, Fredrik Persson wrote:

> (I'm new to the list, and also to the subject at hand.)
>
> I've got a usb host controller that's not on the PCI bus. It's just
> mapped into memory. (This is an embedded device, it doesn't have PCI.)
>
> Under those circumstances, what's the easiest way to probe for connected
> devices? Sysfs won't do me much good because there is no PCI subsystem
> and therefore, I'm not sure how to find, for example, the name of the
> device node.
>
> Virtually all documentation on USB on linux assumes that the host
> controller is on a PCI bus. But there are a number of embedded devices
> that supports USB and not PCI, so I'm thinking that I'm not the only one
> with this problem.

Nope, there are a number of SoC (mostly ARM) with OHCI controllers
and no PCI bus. Generally, the best way is to use the platform driver
system.

The platform driver system will also ensure that stuff turns up in
sysfs for you.