RE: Linux and usb device drivers using functionfs

Hi,

andy_purcell@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>> > Our system has no swap. Running 'top' says 0 total, 0 free, 0 used
>>
>> then your program can not get swapped out, so this whole thing is crazy.
>
> Colleague says when there is memory pressure, program code can get
> paged out of RAM.

only if you have a place where to put it. If you're running out of RAM
and have no SWAP, then that would trigger OOM killer.

> The way I read your sentence above, program code stays in RAM.

yes

> What is the right answer?
>
> Can program code, with no swap and no calls to mlockall(), get paged
> out of RAM under extreme memory pressure?

no, it would get killed by OOM (out-of-memory) killer.

Seems like the problem is elsewhere. Do you have a USB sniffer? I'd say
you need to figure out what's going on with the wire. Which controller
are you using? Which kernel version? Is there anything interesting on
dmesg after the failure?

best

--
balbi