Re: Random xHCI HC died on device disconnect

Hi Mathias,

Thank you very much for your reply.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Mathias Nyman
<mathias.nyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For temporary workarounds:
> if xhci is a module then unload and reload in using modprobe
>
> Or then unbind/rebind the driver and device.
> on a Intel PCI based xhci it would be something like:
> echo 0000:00:14.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci_hcd/unbind
> echo 0000:00:14.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci_hcd/bind

xhci is unfortunately not a module on my system, but I will try to
build it is a module today. I did try bind/unbind yesterday, but
unfortunately without any success. unbind worked fine, but bind only
caused an error message. I can't remember the exact error message (I
unfortunately forgot to write it down), but the code was -22 and I
think the message was something that communication with hub failed.

> If you want to try messing around with the driver itself you could try to
> just disable the xhci stop command timer.
> The timer is there for a reason, but it's also possible that your command
> queue is
> just clogged because its trying to address the faulty device.
> You could play around and remove the timer and see what happens:

Messing with the driver is no problem :) Thanks for this pointer, I am
testing stopping the timer now and will let you know how it goes.

I performed some additional tests yesterday and this morning, and it
seems you are right in that the error is triggered by messages being
stuck in the queue when the device is disconnected. For my new set of
tests, I made a small script which only restarts the modem using GPIO
at some interval. I.e., there is no data sent to the modem. I left the
script running over night, and saw no errors. I then started my
default tool, which configures the modem and performs the restart, and
the error appeared within a couple of hours.

Thanks for all the help,
Kristian