Re: [regression] Force hard reset of Renesas uPD72020x USB controller

On Mon, 2017-09-18 at 12:46 +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On 18/09/17 09:49, Albert Weichselbraun wrote:
> > Hi Marc,
> >
> > 100% ack
> > - Booting with a kernel that does not do a PCI reset yields the
> >   following topology:
> >
> > <snip cmd="lspci -vt">
> > -[0000:00] -
> >  +-00.0  Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family
> > DRAM
> >          Controller
> >  +-02.0  Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family
> >          Integrated Graphics Controller
> >  +-16.0  Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI
> >          Controller #1
> >  +-19.0  Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
> >  +-1a.0  Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB
> >          Enhanced Host Controller #2
> >  +-1b.0  Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High
> >          Definition Audio Controller
> >  +-1c.0-[02]--
> >  +-1c.1-[03]----00.0  Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205
> >                       [Taylor Peak]
> >  +-1c.3-[05-0c]----00.0  Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720202 USB 3.0
> >                          Host Controller
> >  +-1c.4-[0d]----00.0  Ricoh Co Ltd MMC/SD Host Controller
> >  +-1d.0  Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB
> >          Enhanced Host Controller #1
> >  +-1f.0  Intel Corporation QM67 Express Chipset Family LPC
> > Controller
> >  +-1f.2  Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6
> > port
> >          SATA AHCI Controller
> >  \-1f.3  Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
> > SMBus
> >          Controller
> > </snip>
> >
> > Unplugging and replugging the card (regardless of the kernel
> > version)
> > or booting with a kernel that does the reset leads to the card not
> > being correctly recognized and the problems I have observed.
>
> Hmmm. Just to make sure I understand you correctly:
>
> With a non-reset kernel: if you boot *without* the card inserted, but
> insert it at a later time, the card is unusable? If that's the case,
> that's quite unexpected too...

This is exactly what is happening when booting with a non-reset kernel.
If you insert the card at a later time it is unusable and the system
starts to behave sluggish.
There is also not a single line logged in /var/log/kern.log.

Once the card is removed everything is back to normal.

cheers,
  albert:)