Gadget mode advice sought

Greetings,

I'm trying to find the simplest way to develop a bulk mode gadget that
exposes a standard userland IO interface. I've not been able to find
anything suitable but if such a beast does exist please do point me in the
right direction. Failing that please read on.

The appliance collects data via video and other sensors. There is an
intermediate userland processing application that sources from video (V4L2),
SPI, etc.  and would write its output to the host via USB.

V4L2 on the target H3 SoC is only (currently) supported with a 3.4.X kernel.
Thus newer gadget FS options marked as experimental. This may be a
significant constraint, I am not yet sure.

This is an embedded appliance and g_zero does work. Thus I am minded to
extend g_zero, adding fileops etc. so it appears as a standard character
mode driver in /dev. Read() and write() would simply be hooked in to the
source_sink_complete() handler. Does this sense?

Any comments/thought much appreciated.

TAIA

Jerry.