Fibocom L831-EAU and cdc_mbim

Hey,

I recently bought a Thinkpad T470 notebook and added the Fibocom L831-EAU WWAN card. It's mbim-based, but unfortunately I can't get it to work correctly. In fact I'm experiencing similar issues to Patrick Chilton, who reported this behaviour a few months ago also on this list: https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg158286.html

After a new boot, the card works for me for a few minutes, then all transfers stall. Finally, I receive the infamous 'cdc_mbim 1-6:1.0: nonzero urb status received: -EPIPE' message in my system log.

I also tried to disable MBIM by adding an option to modprobe. During connect, pppd then just hangs up (again similar to what Patrick Chilton experienced).

I'm on Arch Linux and Kernel 4.12.13, I tried with and without NetworkManager/ModemManager.

Any ideas how I might be able to debug this?

Thanks,
Andreas