Re: Interfacing a camera to UVC

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply. That does clarify it. But I still have a few
>> more questions.
>>
>> 1. What makes camera UVC compliant? Is there a document describing
>> this? I have access to the hardware (or I should say access to the
>> hardware engineers) and can make it compliant.
>
> The UVC spec describes that.  Please refer to that large specification
> for the details.
>
>> 2. If making camera UVC compliant is a software issue, then I can
>> certainly make changes to UVC, I just don't know what is good starting
>> point for this. I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right
>> direction (i.e. take a look at this function in this file and it will
>> get you started). No need to handhold, but a little help navigating
>> UVC/USB is appreciated.
>
> It's all software, this question doesn't really make much sense.  Go
> read the spec for the details please.
>
>> 3. In case items 1 and 2 are not the steps that I need to take, I will
>> write a V4L driver. V4L is quite complex and I have the same request
>> here as in item 2. What is a good starting point to write a V4L
>> driver? Is there a template file I could use? Would Virtual Video
>> Driver (vivid) be a good place to look at?
>
> There's lots of documentation in the kernel about this, have you read
> that?

Yes, I did find a lot of it. It is a bit overwhelming to sift through
this much information. My question was with regard to a starting point
for a V4L driver. Given that there is a lot of documentation, is there
a template/simple driver I could use as a starting point? I could
slowly "grow" it and make changes to it to fit the capabilities of my
camera.

--
Rail Shafigulin
Software Engineer

--

*ESENCIA TECHNOLOGIES, INC.*3945 Freedom Circle, Suite #360,
Santa Clara CA 95054