Re: How to implement the asynchronous notification in the etherdrivers?

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:21:58PM +0800, Franko Fang wrote:
> Dear Greg KH:
>
> Yes, I develop the driver based on the cdc_ether.c.

Why not just send patches to cdc_ether.

> But we use the self command system, which is called 'qmi', to managed
> our device.

Do you have a pointer to documentation to explain this kind of command
system?

> And the device will have some indications to report to our managed
> software running in the user space.  So the driver must notify our
> managed software to get the indication data from our driver.
>
> But now I don't know how to implement this asynchronous notification
> in our ether driver.
>
> Can you give me any advice or samples for it?

Have you looked at the standard interface for such notifications for
Linux network devices?  It's through ethtool and/or netlink.

thanks,

greg k-h