Re: This is probably crazy

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017, Steven Timms wrote:

> I've just re-done them just in case it was wrong the first time. I wasn't
> sure if 'control' was fresh data as the clear command didn't seem to do
> anything. Plus the file size seems the same even on the second attempt (I'm
> not knowledgeable enough to know if this is correct)
>
> Hope all is good, thx again
>
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Steven Timms <steven.p.timms@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Alan,
> >
> > I hope I've done this correctly. The control file got pretty large even
> > though it was a few seconds.

I guess the device you're concerned about is either the C-1U made by
BEHRINGER or else the Audiolab M-DAC made by Lakewest Audio, since
those are the only USB audio devices in your listings.

The thing is, both of those devices are attached to bus 3, which is
connected to an xHCI controller.  Buses 1 and 2, by contrast, are
connected to EHCI controllers.

This means that no matter what changes you make to the ehci-hcd driver,
it won't have any effect at all on how your audio devices behave.  It
should be easy enough to verify this -- just boot into an unpatched
kernel, leaving everything else the same, and see what happens when you
use the audio devices.

The situation would be different if you plugged the DAC into a USB-2
port instead of a USB-3 port.  If you do try this, and you run the
tests again, note that you did not follow my instructions for the
second test correctly.  In that test, I asked you to post the output
from the "dmesg" command, not the contents of
/sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control.

Alan Stern