Re: This is probably crazy

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017, Steven Timms wrote:

> Hi Alan, thank you for looking in to this. I am not a programmer but I am
> technically capable. Although I have not done debugging before I am happy
> to provide the data. Is it as simple as sending audio data to the DAC and
> then running a program from the terminal? If so it should be simple for me
> if you don't mind giving me some steps to follow.

Here are some things you can easily do right away:

Mount a debugfs filesystem:

	mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug

Then while sending data to the DAC (something that would cause an
unpatched kernel to fail), make a copy of /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices
and post that copy.

For a second test, enable debugging for ehci-hcd:

	echo 'module ehci_hcd =p' >/sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

Then clear the system log buffer:

	dmesg -C

The run the test program briefly (a few seconds of data to the DAC will
be enough).  When that's done, make a copy of the output from "dmesg"
and post that.

> Thanks, I am gobsmacked that emailing Linus actually worked, I've never
> done this before :) you guys are awesome

Linus tends to be pretty busy.  It's generally better to email the
developers responsible for the particular devices or subsystems where
the problems occur.

Alan Stern