Re: Detecting a USB device with dual identity

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Shivdas Gujare <shivdas.tech@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Imran,
>
> You should do "eject /dev/sdc1" assuming sdc1 device node for disk, if
> it gets detected as a mass-storage disk
> to get it detected as a modem.
> you can write a udev rule to that always if necessary.

Great! Thanks a lot, that did help detect the modem :). Can you please
help in writing the UDEV? BTW, the `lsusb` for the disk drive is -
0471:1210 Philips

> What is the EDGE modem you are using, and kernel version?

Kernel version is - 2.6.24-23-generic (Ubuntu Hardy) and the modem
model is 6118u -
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/e-lins-zou/product-detailaebxqyKdAzkn/China-Smallest-EDGE-GPRS-Modem-Quad-Band-6118u-.html

Thank you,

- Imran

> Regards,
> Shivdas Gujare
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Imran M Yousuf <imyousuf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a EDGE modem which when I connect to my Ubuntu Hardy/Interpid
>> sometimes is detected as a modem and sometimes as a disk (pen drive).
>> How can I instruct the system to always recognise it as a modem? Once
>> the device is recognized as a disk how can I instruct it to be re-read
>> as a modem?
>>
>> I would be extremely grateful if someone would help me in this regard.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> --
>> Imran M Yousuf
>> Email: imran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx