Re: 2.6.26.6-79.fc9: turning off one USB drive disconnected other USB drives

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Karl Kiniger wrote:

> OK, did some experiments with two drives -  1TB Samsung and ICY box.
>
> Test setup: ICY box mounted r/o and running tar -cvf /dev/null -C /mnt/icybox
>
> While tar is running: power off/on or pull/plug USB cable on the
> other drive.
>
> Result:  pulling USB from Samsung or powering off does not make a
> difference. Pulling cable or turning off produces log entries like
>
> Oct 30 20:14:32 kipc2 kernel: usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 6 <== Samsung
> and one or two lines
> Oct 30 20:14:32 kipc2 kernel: usb 1-8: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
>   from the ICY box.
>
> Power on or connect of USB cable had no crosstalk so far.
>
> Two times out of about 15 tries the ICY box was hung completely, in the
> remaining cases it recovered by itself. However it was enough to power
> cycle the ICY - it was not necessary to reload the ehci driver.
>
> Without activity (tar) I could only see the usb 1-3 disconnects. At the
> moment I dont want to experiment with writing to the drives while
> playing USB games. (applies also to the OneTouch below)
>
> The same happens when unplugging the OneTouch. There are not
> always disconnects on the ICY but mostly.

This message turned up as I was going through old email.

I thought you'd like to know that a patch to address this matter has
been accepted; it should appear in 2.6.30.  If you would like to try it
out, the patch is:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-04-usb/usb-ehci-add-software-retry-for-transaction-errors.patch

Alan Stern