Re: USB CDP (charging downstream port) charging over Chipidea HDRC in host mode

On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 10:40:01AM +0530, Jayan John wrote:
> I would like to add CDP (charging downstream port) capability over my
> OTG port in host mode. I am using an iMX6q platform with Chipidea HDRC
> (highspeed dual role controller) with 4.1 kernel.
>
> Looked at a bunch of documents like USB Battery Charging Specification
> and USB Power Delivery specification, it is clear that there is a
> handshake over D+ and D- before enumeration to identify whether a host
> supports CDP or not. It occurs in two steps. A primary handshake to
> detect SDP vs CDP/ DCP where host will respond with D- voltage greater
> than 0.3 V and less than 0.8 V. A secondary handshake to detect CDP vs
> DCP where DCP will be indicated witha response of D+ voltage greater
> than 0.3 V and less than 0.8 V.
>
> I believe the handshake can only be supported by using a CDP emulator
> or a USB charging port controller. But I would like to investigate the
> possibility of achieving this handshake with only driver changes in
> PHY or controller i.e. without any additional hardware chips or
> circuitry.
>
> Does anyone have any viewpoints on whether CDP charging can be
> achieved without any additional hardware changes over Chipidea HDRC in
> host mode?

The imx6 series USB PHY supports USB charger detection, and the internal
tree implements it at: drivers/usb/chipidea/usbmisc_imx.c if you are
using v4.1 release. Due to there is no USB charger framework at
mainline, this part of code has still not upstream.

--

Best Regards,
Peter Chen