Re: Devices stop and re-start by themselves

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:52:57AM +0000, Peter Targett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone got any tips to track down a problem where some usb
> devices "magically" appear to be unplugged, then re-appear
> moments later and are restarted
> correctly by my libusb daemon/server task.
>
> My setup is linux 2.6.9 (RHEL4.5) and libusb 0.1.12.

Both of those are _very_ old.  So it's going to be a bit hard for anyone
in the community to offer you support.

As you are using RHEL, have you tried contacting your vendor for
support?  You are paying for it :)

> The USB devices are simply USB 1.1 devices using the Intel 8051
> device.  In the past the same devices were used on a Windows PC and
> worked fine.  The reason for moving it to Linux was to merge control
> of these devices with the underlying software that uses them.
>
> I have tried very recent versions of the Linux kernel, namely 2.6.27,
> but couldn't see any improvement - part of the problem is
> that the problem seemingly happens randomly.  I am in the process
> of rewriting the libusb part of the daemon/server task to
> use the recent re-write of libusb, namely, libusb-1.0.

Odds are it is a power issue, try providing more power to the devices
with a external-power hub, or fix the cables to be ones that don't have
shorts in them :)

Please note that Linux can't control when devices "disappear", that is
an electrical thing that it has no control over.

good luck,

greg k-h