Devices stop and re-start by themselves

Hi,

Has anyone got any tips to track down a problem where some usb
devices "magically" appear to be unplugged, then re-appear
moments later and are restarted
correctly by my libusb daemon/server task.

My setup is linux 2.6.9 (RHEL4.5) and libusb 0.1.12.  The USB devices
are simply USB 1.1 devices using the Intel 8051 device.
In the past the same devices were used on a Windows PC and worked
fine.  The reason for moving it to Linux was to merge control of these
devices with the underlying software that uses them.

I have tried very recent versions of the Linux kernel, namely 2.6.27,
but couldn't see any improvement - part of the problem is
that the problem seemingly happens randomly.  I am in the process
of rewriting the libusb part of the daemon/server task to
use the recent re-write of libusb, namely, libusb-1.0.

Regards,

Peter.