Re: Tool to enable USB power management

Am Mittwoch 25 Februar 2009 22:15:33 schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> > Sure.  I guess I don't see why selective suspend would be useless
> > without remote wakeup.  For example, my USB camera on my eeepc doesn't
> > have remote wakeup, but it auto-suspends fine.  When I'm not using it, I
> > want it to be auto-suspended.
>
> I said "in many cases" selective suspend is useless without remote
> wakeup.  Consider a USB keyboard as a good example.

The best. All other devices can do some power savings without remote
wakeup. But they fare very badly. Mice eg. would require you to kill X
(and gpm) to get power savings. HID is not very good, but I think I
have gone to the limits of the specification with it.

> > Ok, it sounds like I need some specific prompts to the user as to how
> > they need to test their HID device.
>
> Or any device in general.

Well, you can do some tests without user intervention. You can
unbind drivers from a device, read the config strings and reprobe
drivers. If this fails the device is broken. Unfortunately you cannot
determine whether a device works without problems this way.

But you really need to test remote wakeup separately. I expect
trouble, especially with bluetooth.

	Regards
		Oliver