Re: Tool to enable USB power management

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:04:07AM +0100, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 25 Februar 2009 20:09:55 schrieb Sarah Sharp:
> > I'm aware that Oliver found some USB mice that would wakeup only when a
> > button was clicked but not when they were moved.  I'm not sure whether
>
> Every mouse I tested behaved this way. 4 out of 4.

Interesting.  Maybe this is the way mice are supposed to work (TM)?
Perhaps they can't meet the power requirement for selective suspend if
they leave on their optic sensors.  Did you test any wheel mice?

> > such a mouse should be added to the whitelist; on one hand auto-suspend
> > does work in a limited sense, but the user might notice a new "failure"
> > and assume they need to change their mice batteries.  If this
> > semi-broken device shouldn't be added to the whitelist I could add
> > special prompts for HID devices.
>
> It seems to me that we should have a grey list and autosuspend
> for such mice should be linked to the screensaver.
>
> But I cannot confirm Alan's bad experience with keyboards. Every
> keyboard worked flawlessly. 3 out of 3.

That's great!  Care to send me the VID:PIDs?

Maybe something changed between the time Alan tested keyboard
auto-suspend?  I know you went through several revisions of the HID
auto-suspend support patch.

Sarah